Thursday, August 17, 2006

Went to the festival of history on Saturday - this is a big event run by English Heritage...reenactments of romans, vikings, saxons, wars of the roses, civil war, boer war, first world war etc. When I woke up in the morning I could hear rain (I had been forced out of my bed and was in little M's bed) so went back to sleep thinking we wouldnt be going. But big M is made of sterner stuff and got up to check the weather for Northhampton and made us all get up because it wasnt supposed to rain over there (and we had to pre purchase tickets)! Frantic rush round to get ready and off in the car (still very sceptical about weather).
Rain dutifully stopped about half way to Kelmarsh hall and we were able to join the other 15,000 odd people in a cold and grey paddock. Watched a reenactment of the battle of Stamford Bridge (Vikings vs Saxons 1066) then the Ermine Street Guard came on to do some Roman drill at which the kids decided they wanted to go and look at something else...big M told me to stay and watch if I wanted and they would be back after the Roman bit was over. She had the Kids and coats, water and I gave them 10 pounds just in case (I had the lunch and picnic rug and most importantly the money). After the roman bit finished I watched some of the next thing (Romano British stuff) and started to get cold and bored so decided to wander off and find the others. 5 hours later I managed to find them (just in time to go home!) Bit of a miscalculation.
The weather here has pretty much reverted to English standard summer - lots of grey days with rain interspersed with brilliant sunshine. We have been doing evening walks along the river with the kids, and have even joined the canoe club - they have boats we can take out - so J and M are learning to paddle kayaks.

No comments: